Friday, January 05, 2007

The China Syndrome

I don't make New Year's resolutions - but this year I thought, what the hell. I will not buy any clothing made in China. I will not spend my posperous Western bucks on anything that will steal the girlhood away from millions of young Chinese women. (See post "China Blue" 6/12).) I have so far held the line (five days and counting) but my resolution is proving trickier than I thought. I have deliberately NOT gone shopping, even though there are 50% reductions all over town. I do not need any more clothing. Nevertheless, my husband gave a gift certificate to Fleur Wood, which necessiatated a visit to Paddington Shopping Village. Luckily, Fleur's heavenly satin bias-cut slips are made in Australia, so I snaffled a brilliant midnight-teal one without breaking into a sweat. (It's very Maggie the Cat.) Then my inbuilt radar took me around the corner to Elizabeth Street, where Easton Pearson was having a sale. Again, all made in Australia - so, even though I was not buying anything, I bought a pretty black Victorian blouse that I'll treasure for years. But the Puma yoga pants at Rebel Sport had to be put back on the rack and the entire collection at Country Road was made in China. (Shame on you.) My husband says I am going to end up naked by the end of the year. But he forgets that I am still wearing clothes that are 25 years old. We called it "investment dressing" when I worked at Vogue back in the 70s and 80s. And it paid off. Photo courtesy of vogue.com.au

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home