Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The world's best hotel lobby?

It's no secret that the novel I'm currently writing is set in hotel lobbies in various countries and there's no doubt that The Peninsula in Hong Kong boasts one of the great lobbies of the world (if not the great lobby.) So it was with much delight I lunched today at the vertiginous 41 restaurant with Jean Forrest, the Hong Kong based General Manager of Marketing for the Peninsula group, and Frank Bowling, who is "Ambassador" for The Peninsula in Beverly Hills. I'd been to the Beijing Peninsula Palace last December and the Pen in Hong Kong this May, and I'm becoming a bit of a Peninsula groupie - purely for the purposes of collecting information for my book, of course. Since lunch, I've now added The Peninsula Beverly Hills to my must-visit list, as well as the new Tokyo one (but I'll have to wait until the end of 2007 when it opens.) The Divine Frank Bowling, who has been GM at two iconic hotels, the Bel Air in Beverly Hills and the Carlyle in New York, tells me that regular, valued guests at the Beverly Hills Pen (such as James Packer) have their own monogrammed pillowcases. And to make the journey in commercial first class so much more comfortable (when the Gulfstream's not available) the hotel will pack your very own picnic basket of goodies to take on board. The bliss of being super-rich! As the hotel is right next door to my film agent at CAA, you can guess where I'll be staying when I go to do my next big film deal. By the way, if you know of any fabulous hotel lobbies (five star or half-a-star, it doesn't matter) please post below. I'm always looking for a new lobby to swan around in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home