Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sheltering Sky Blue

I'm getting into a Sheltering Sky mood for my impending trip to Oman this weekend. I intend to have my hands and feet decorated with henna when there, as I usually do when visiting oriental countries (or anywhere else I can get it - I once had mehndi done in a shop in Manhattan's East Village), so the crucial decision before I go is this: what colour to paint my toenails? Quite coincidentally, yesterday the kind people at YSL sent me a bottle of next autumn's nail colour, no 32, a sparkling deep raspberry colour. But is it too Glam Rock for the dusty streets of Muscat? I was thinking more along the lines of desert shades like OPIs "It's a bird it's a plane it's OPI" orange (who thinks up these names?) or the Sheltering Blue Sky of M.A.C 's "Cabana". Perhaps I should paint my toes gold to go with my gold silk caftan or sinister purple-black (OPI's Lincoln Park) to go with my black one... This is an important decision, as I never feel quite right unless I've matched my toenail colour to my destination, in the same way I need to match my reading matter to my destination. (Olivia Manning's The Balkan Trilogy for Romania; Rohan Mistry's A Fine Balance for India and now Sultan in Oman by Jan Morris, written when she was a "he" in 1957.) Maybe I should try a date-coloured brown? Or - let's take this to its logical conclusion - camel-poop yellow?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home